Lessons from the Covid-19 pandemic

If someone told you in January that in three months' time we'll all be deep under lockdown, and our New Year's resolutions totally squashed by a virus of global proportions, I guarantee you'd have laughed that person out of court. Neither could we, even in our wildest imagination, have ever pictured Easter holidays coming and going without any fanfare. And that's precisely it about life. It's too complex a phenomenon for us mortals to grasp and yet we walk around like we know what tomorrow holds. This Covid-19 pandemic has aptly brought our minuteness in the grand scheme of things to the fore and to me, that has above many things, concretized my faith and recognition of God's power. I've undoubtedly sought Him more since the crisis begun than ever before. 

Secondly I've had time to reflect about my life and what direction I'd love it to take. True introspection (at least for me) has always come at what you'd call low moments - when I'm broke, sick, weak, sad, and lonely.
At those moments, the mind, if well adjusted, is in the best frame to make rational decisions. And such moments have proved that indeed failure only defeats losers but inspires winners. I recall a profound scenario probably a week or two ago when a friend posted a captivating picture with a caption that read: If you leave this Covid-19 lockdown without a new skill, a side gig, or that idea you've flirted with for long not implemented, then it's  not that you lacked time, but you're simply undisciplined. That stung. Ultimately I've been compelled to kickstart some of those ideas I've dillydallied with for a very long time. 
Internet photo

There's an old but timeless adage that goes: Attitude determines altitude. The world as we know it has not in a very long time experienced a catastrophe of COVID-19's magnitude, and this was a rude awakening from our collective and individual complacency. We had sat back and imagined that the days of global chaos are long behind us. In these days of high-level scientific advancement, we wouldn't have imagined that a virus could bring the entire globe to a standstill. As a result, our survival and triumph over this ordeal has and will continue to rely on  the  attitude we exercise towards the crisis and life in general. 
Internet photo

Lest I forget, the Covid-19 pandemic has reminded me that procrastination is a thief of time and that I should cuff him... if I'm to achieve my goals. I've understood that time is fleeting and that much as I have no control over that fact, I can choose how to spend my twenty four every day. Previously I'd struggled with procrastination for as long as I remember but the lockdown has helped me get over this since I've had to program every minute of my time. Additionally as far as my writing is concerned, #UgBlogMonth has encouraged me to write daily, a thing I always thought was impossible. As a matter of fact I've henceforth decided to write every day even after the #UgBlogMonth challenge ends. 

Folks, family is key. We all need a strong support system especially in times of trouble. When schools were halted, I chose to visit home because I hadn't spent quality time with family in a long while. As fate would have it, the lockdown period kept on getting extended and I ended up staying longer than I anticipated. Thankfully I've immensely enjoyed the time I've spent at home bonding with family and like I said the importance of family has not been lost on me. 

A week after I returned to the kaalo, I made the acquaintance of a seasoned US professor of Economics. He's been running a research project in the area and has worked on many other projects notably with Makerere University and Ministry of Education and Sports. Initially I did not really warm up to the idea of offering him support on the research, but after a couple of interactions I've realised this is one of the best things that have happened to me in tweny tweny. I've learned so much more in the few weeks working with him than an entire research methodology university course unit ever taught me. What I'm saying is, Always look on the brighter side.
Internet photo

Last but not least, I've learned and felt the essence of generosity. Many times it's the little acts of kindness that make the difference. Seeing how people's faces light up when you offer them some help to aid their survival in this crisis has been life changing. 
Internet photo 

Comments

Popular Posts