Finding the learning point.

 Learning is a lifelong process. In fact, even in death you still learn some things. For instance, you learn how one transitions from this mortal coil to the afterlife. I've read up on Near-Death Experience (NDE) and believe me you it's quite fascinating. Why would anyone read up on that you ask? Well, I once had an NDE. I must have been ten or eleven. Afterward, it terribly bothered me and as luck would have it, I chanced on an article in the paper that shared people's NDE experiences. I right away recognized the phenomenon. 

But I digress. 

Anyway in a world where knowledge is no longer just power but also profit, the essence of fast learning can never be overemphasized. I've always used the Bodaboda experience that proves that knowledge is profit. Whenever I hail a rider I ask if he knows a certain place I want to go to, if he replied in the affirmative, that's profit for him because we are in business. But if he says he doesn't know the place, I let him off right away and wait for the next one. I don't bother explaining the place. Why? Because knowledge is profit. 

Now one of the greatest hindrances to learning is living passively and being a bystander to everyday occurrences around us. When we are unplugged from the reality of the moment, we miss noticing the trends, the businesses that work, and the opportunities in our space. Active living requires an alert and astute mind, exceptional observation skills, and ultimately a curious and open mind. 

Sometime back last year as I returned from a field visits in Kaliro, I got into conversation with the Bodaboda guy who was driving me to Iganga. He told me about the several businesses he did and how unlike many of his counterparts, he lived comfortably. He spoke about coffee farming he was doing and I learned he actually earned more than the average corporate suit. In an economy where  many Bodaboda riders hung from the lower societal and economic rungs, his story was awe-inspiring. 

Similarly I don't know how many ideas I've gotten from saloon talk at the Barber's. It's not just for the weekly haircut that I go there but also to tap into the thought processes of a variety of people. It's astounding the  places we sometimes find the most helpful wisdom. From not just the sagacious university professor but also the enterprising market vendor, or the witty taxi conductor. Everyone has something to teach. 

However one key determinant in the learning process is attitude. Because there are more lessons to learn from failure than from success. The defining factor is your attitude towards that stumbling block. Do you consider it a learning point or does it seem fatally final to you? And most importantly do you look for the lesson therein? 


Comments

Popular Posts